St Andrews Scotland

What do you thank God for?

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

For memories

So i'm in London Hethrow airport now, waiting for my connecting flight to edinburgh. After that, i'll have to take a bus to St. Andrews, where the university is. I tell you, the security here is tight! i had 2 hand carry bags, my computer bag, and a bag of gifts (thanks guys!). When i reached hethrow, they told me that only 1 bag was allowed, so i had to stuff everything into my computer bag (including the lovely cookies, Kim!). After whcih, they said my bag was too big and that i had to check it in. I was like," ?!!? It's a computer bag!" But there was no arguing with them. They made me go through immigration and customs (basically outside), and then line in and check-in my computer bag! I checked in everything but my laptop, so now i have a transparent plastic bag and my laptop with me. Everything else is i don't know where. I look ridiculous, walking around with a laptop and a plastic bag. It's as if i can't afford a computer bag.
Anyway, the flight here was pretty bad, haha. 13 and a half hours on British Airways. I was sitting next to this spanish guy, and beside him was a welsh dude. Anyway, when i reached my seat, the spanish dude was sitting in it. I told him to move, and he just sat there. I wasn't sure if he understood me so i waited, cos i didn't reserve an isle seat just for some spanish punk to take it. So after a silent stand-off (more like a sit-off for him), he moved(muahaha!). I slept almost throughout the flight.. only waking up to eat half of my dinner and my breakfast. The stewardess kept on pushing the food cart over my foot. Anyway, something weird happened while i was sleeping, but i'll blog about it some other time.
So now i'm here... in the middle of waiting hall 5 in terminal 1 of hethrow airport, with people overlooking my shoulder trying to read what i'm typing. I feel very out of place here. I wanna go home! 9 months is a very long time... It's comforting to know that i'll be in singapore for my birthday and for Emerge for the first time since 04. I hope st andrews has a good church. I hope there's fast internet there, needa stream the service online. I hope my baggage reaches edinburgh. I hope the cookies are not crushed..
So to all who sent me off, i really thank you. Really, i know to you guys it's just another sending off, cos Aaron's gonna be back again anyway. But to me, it really means alot. Everytime i leave singapore, it breaks my heart. It really does. I don't know how to put it in words, but it's that sense of hopelessness, the feelign you get when you're not able to be aroudn the people you love. I can't describe it. THe presents and the letters just make it worse! So i'm going to type individual messages. I've never done it before so i guess it's about time, haha.


Jessika - Thanks for being there at the airport. You're one funny girl, you know that? Being a hair model and all, calling me at 6 in the morning to tell me that you can't wake up.. you really crack me up. So, all the best in London, and i hope you get through the airport security quicker and easier than i do.. Enjoy your London shopping! ;)


Kim - I really admire you. You're so strong, always helping others to cope with their problems. Sometimes, i wonder why you keep on doing what you do. And then i realise that it's cos you're Kim, it's just you! You're one of the most faithful people i know, and i thank God that he placed you in my life. You've helped me grow alot these past few years, and i hope i've been as good a friend to you as you've been to me! So thank you for everything, your care and concern, your time, your creative presents... and i'll see that we'll go rock-climbing again soon enough. :) Lotsaluff!


Yiu Loong - I still can't get used to calling you Nick. It's just not the same as Yiu Loong. Haha. The Yiu Loong i knew was the puny one in sec 1, when we'd hang out every day, have recess, and wander around school like 2 little anti-social acs punks. Now, just look at you. You're independent, cool, and the best graphic designer i know! Ok fine you also happen to be the only one i know, but thats just a minor detail. So just continue growing! Be strong always, and be yourself! It doesn't really matter if other ppl get famous. Just keep on doing your own thing, and fame will come too. Aight bro? Btw i love the cap.


Xiao Lii - Well.. i still rmb the time when you sent me that sms. Remember? THe one where it said that you liked me, and then you scroll down the page to realise that it was one of those trick messages and it meant that you didn't really. You know, THAT SMS that totally fooled me. And i had to tell like half the world that you "liked" me. How embarrassing. Even thinking about it now makes me blush. Haha. Anyway, lots of things have happened since then.. good things and bad things, but things that made us grow-up nonetheless. Obstacles will always arise, no matter where you are.. like the huge obstacle i'm facing now haha. You're one very strong person (you know that?), and you're going to be the best artist around! So thanks for the wonderful present you made, i'll be wearing it around! =)


Wei Wen - I didnt' get to spend much time with you, with me going to vietnam for 3 wks, and then you going to KL for outreach. But in the time we spent together, you managed to convince me that you are a fantastic guy and that Liverpool wasn't THAT bad. Haha. You're a very good friend, and i know you took care of Adam quite a bit when i wasn't around, so thank you! Just don't get bullied so much by the other guys lah eh? Don't be like adam. Haha. Next time yiu loong or lucas gets you in a headlock, tickle them or something. Haha. Anyway, I'm looking forward to coming back. We needa play more ball and go to Wild Wild wet again!


Xiao En - I like the way you dance when you win. :) The trademark Xiao En Victory Dance. Maybe we could make a music video, i film, you dance, we split the earnings 50-50. haha. Nah, actually you're one strong little girl, and i know you are meant to do big things! The cg needs you.. you can do it!


Swee - Haha.. just thinking of you makes me wanna laugh. Can i do it? k i'll do it. INHALE. Hahahaha.. sorry ok promise that was the last time i'll make fun of the way you inhale, i mean laugh. Haha, anyway, you are meant for bigger things as well! Trust me.. just don't get burdened by people who take a special liking for you. It's a good thing, just gotta manage them. :) Oh and sorry, i couldn't wait for you to come! Any longer and i would have missed my flight.. haha. It's ok, i'll see you when i'm back. =)


Gloria - Hmmm yes, i know you came to the airport, too bad we didn't get to see each other! Anyway, i'm glad to have gotten to know you if not just a little thru cg and all the outings we had. I wish there were more, but I'll just have to wait till next year! You're a really nice person, messaging me when we were bored and all. Heh next time you can show me around the istana.. is it the istana? The thing next to PS. Anyway, yes i recieved your msg and thanks, i did have a safe flight. God is good. =D


Karen - Hey.. yeah sorry you wasted a trip to the airport as well, my bad. Anyway, thanks for always encouraging me with your msgs and notes. In many ways, i look up to you as the da jie i never had! And you're right, the road to that cert may not be an easy one, but God is our strength. So yes i will keep the flame burning, and i'll be seeing you during my holiday and we can worship Him together! ;)


Lucas - Dude, we've been through so much these past 2 months. I mean, you know it. The one event that really sticks out is when we went down during the alter call when Pst. Mike Connell came to cast out some demons, and then after that Bro Edmund telling us that we werent' supposed to! That was just... such an experience. So anyway, now that you're soon to be a cgl, and you pretty much have that celebrity status, you're heading to way greater heights. Just keep on keeping on, yeah? It's all for His glory! Much love. (Hey we gotta have more PMs together like the last time.. i miss it!)


Tim 1 - How do i even start. We learned in cg last week that a best friend is someone whom we share our inner most secrets. So, i guess that makes you my best friend. Although you may be late (only sometimes!), be a tad bit on the vain side (just a teeny bit), and have this bad habit of slapping me on my back(sorry!), you're still my best friend. Lets keep it as best friends though, and not go on to.. you know. Bobby! Haha.. homos. So thanks for the present. I really did not expect it! Ed Hardy surf... make me so happy. Well... I guess thats what best friends do. Hella!


To the rest who couldn't make it - Guys thanks for everything. I know you guys would have come down if not for work or other commitments.. right? (It better be!) Haha no lah. Thanks though, really appreciate the SMSes and notes!


Update:Ok i finally reached my apartment in St. Andrews. What a long trip! It's now 5:20pm on the 16th here, and it's 12:21am on the 17th in singapore. Well, so it took me one whole day of travelling.. but i'm finally here. yay? Sigh....Was reading the residence information card, and found out that i'll only get internet thru the University network, which i can only do when i get my student card.. and i'll only get that on wednesday. Today is saturday! I think.. yeah. So that means i'll miss sunday service. I already missed saturday's! BTW Kim, the cookies are great =) It's my first meal in scotland. There isn't any toiletries or daily necessities here... i needa go shopping pronto. I needa take a shower, haven't taken one since friday morning. Haha.. yes, xiaoen i think i smell like a rafflesia flower now. I'm really missing you guys now. I just have to say it again. I really don't know how to describe it. There'll be times when i'll feel a sudden wave of sorrow, and to cope with it i'd count to 10 and then force myself to think of something else. Haha.. i guess it's a temporary fix till i get over it. Lord! I need your touch!Ah Dad just called. I miss him so much. He tried calling me like 50 times... i finally switched my phone on haha. Love you dad.Cool i was reading another handbook for new students, and it said that the library has wireless internet access. So hey, if you read this before wednesday, i went to the library!
Hmm by the way, i'm typing this all out on notepad, so i'll be posting all this at once when i get my internet. So i apologize if you find my post alittle scrappy and abstract. Oh yes btw the walls in my apartment are so thin, i can here everything that goes on next door. I reckon it's the same on the other side. This mornign when i was worshipping God, i had to keep on taking off my headphones to see if i was singing too loud (i don't have my guitar, so i have to settle with worship songs on my ipod). It was kinda annoying.. kept on disrupting.
K it's 530pm on sunday. I'm going to go to the library to blog this post, and then i'm going to check out the whereabouts of my faculty, and maybe grab some dinner. Oh and maybe buy a nail clipper if any convenient shops are open.
19:59 Ok i'm back! Walked to my faculty, the Bute Medical sch, and it's like a half an hour walk away. So far.. well at least the walk there is quite a nice one. Man this place is beautiful. It's all green, and the roads and buildings are so european, everything is made of stones. And you know what, while walking back, i even saw a family of little bunny rabbits. How cool is that? I'll take some pictures and upload them when i get internet access. So yes, the library was closed... i actually took my laptop out and checked to see if there still was wireless. And actually there was, but i think it was a private network, so i left. Didn't want to get into any trouble on my 2nd day here! I got lost while walking back. It took me a 50 minutes to walk back. At least now i know the place pretty well. Haha. I NEED INTERNET!


@ 2:28 AM